(en noun )
From (etyl) rei, reh, reoh, from (etyl) . More at (l).
* (l) (Scotland)
(en noun )
Compare (riddle) a sieve.
(en noun )
* 1678 “In the rere‘ of them fall others of the city trumpets; after them two gentlemen bearing the banners of the city and the Lord Mayor; twelve gentlemen ushers appointed as aforesaid follow them, and after them the court of assistants put a period to that division. In the ”’rere of them falls the serjeant trumpet, after him sixteen other of the king’s trumpets and kettle-drums; …” ”The Triumphs of London” (Reprinted 1869 in <q cite="http://books.google.com/books?pg=PA521&dq=%22the+rere+of%22&ei=Cr-aS87YCqD8ygSI5uShCg&cd=2&id=wClLAAAAYAAJ&num=100
* 1855 “It begins by setting out all the tenants’ names; the frontage, the depth, and the reres of the several plots.” Archdeacon Hewitson’s Endowment For A Protestant School At Swords, Endowed Schools, Ireland, Commission, minutes of evidence, Vol. II in <q cite="http://books.google.com/books?id=I7QSAAAAYAAJ&dq=%22the%20reres%20of%22&num=100&pg=PA32
* 1922 “He trod the worn steps, pushed the swingdoor and entered softly by the rere .”
Ulysses , Chapter VJames Joyce
* 1986 “the arcade at the rere of the General Post Office”
Dublin Metropolitan Streets Commission Act, 1986: First Schedule
* 1995 “the unnamed laneway to the rere of Nos. 1-8 Merview”
S.I. No. 248/1995 — Urban Renewal Act, 1986 (Designated Areas) (Cobh) Order, 1995; Schedule, Part II, Harbour Row Area
* 1996 “First Floor/Rere Room: Doors, door cases, chimney piece, decorative plaster ceiling.”
Written Answers. – Departmental BuildingsDáil Éireann – Volume 463 – 26 March, 1996
* 2009 “permission sought for proposed (1) garage conversion and first floor extension to side, (2) single storey extension to rere , and (3) alterations to front single-storey element and wider vehicular entrance at [address]”
Malahide planning noticesFingal Independent , 18 November 2009
Ree vs Rere – What’s the difference?
Ree vs Rere - What's the difference?
As a noun rere is (all meanings).