Expansion vs Extension - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between expansion and extension is that expansion is the act or process of expanding while extension is the act of extending or the state of being extended; a stretching out; enlargement in breadth or continuation of length; increase; augmentation; expansion.
The act or process of expanding.
The fractional change in unit length per unit length per unit temperature change.
A new addition.
- The expansion of metals and plastics in response to heat is well understood.
A product to be used with a previous product.
- My new office is in the expansion behind the main building.
That which is expanded; expanse; extended surface.
- This expansion requires the original game board.
(steam engines) The operation of steam in a cylinder after its communication with the boiler has been cut off, by which it continues to exert pressure upon the moving piston.
- the starred expansion of the skies
* (act of expanding) contraction
* expansion joint
* expansion team
* expansion cleat
* expansion pack
(en noun )
The act of extending or the state of being extended; a stretching out; enlargement in breadth or continuation of length; increase; augmentation; expansion.
That property of a body by which it occupies a portion of space (or time, e.g. “spatiotemporal extension”)
(semantics) Capacity of a concept or general term to include a greater or smaller number of objects; — correlative of intension.
, date = 2011-07-20
, author = Edwin Mares
, title = Propositional Functions
, site = The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
, url = http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/fall2011/entries/propositional-function
, accessdate = 2012-07-15}}
(banking, finance) A written engagement on the part of a creditor, allowing a debtor further time to pay a debt.
(medicine) The operation of stretching a broken bone so as to bring the fragments into the same straight line.
(weightlifting) An exercise in which an arm or leg is straightened against resistance.
(fencing) A simple offensive action, consisting of extending the weapon arm forward.
(telecommunication) A numerical code used to specify a specific telephone in a telecommunication network.
(computing) A file extension.
- In addition to concepts and conceptual senses, Frege holds that there are extensions of concepts. Frege calls an extension of a concept a ‘course of values’. A course of values is determined by the value that the concept has for each of its arguments. Thus, the course of values for the concept __ is a dog records that its value for the argument Zermela is the True and for Socrates is the False, and so on. If two concepts have the same values for every argument, then their courses of values are the same. Thus, courses of values are extensional.
(computing) An optional software component that adds functionality to an application.
- Files with the ”.txt” extension usually contain text.
(logic) The set of tuples of values that, used as arguments, satisfy the predicate.
- a browser extension
* (semantics) denotation
* (exercise) curl
* extension cord
* hair extension
* leg extension
* triceps extension
* file extension
* metaphorical extension